A group of at least 10 armed men held up Fournos Bakery in Dunkeld West, Johannesburg, on Sunday afternoon.

The robbers arrived at about midday, and took wallets and cellphones from patrons and employees. They also took all the money from the cash registers.

This is the third bakery robbery in about seven months, said employee André Human, 22.

André van der Westhuizen, 38, from Linden, arrived at the Dunkeld West shopping mall along with his wife, Debra, and their 17-month-old baby boy, Andrew, while the robbery was taking place.

"We'd wanted to buy a few things for a picnic. When I opened the door after we'd parked, a man pressed a firearm against my body. I said I want to get my child. He said: "Quickly, quickly."

"I took the child and left the keys in the car. We ran to the opposite side of the road," said Van der Westhuizen.

The robbers took their Honda Jazz.

"They were probably looking for a getaway car. I'm shocked. It feels strange. I'm happy that everyone's safe," he said.

A waiter, who wanted to remain anonymous, said a robber had approached him and pointed a gun at him.

"He said: 'Son of a bitch. Where's the money?' Obviously I was scared." The robber also took the money from his apron.

A security guard, Themba Mkwanazi, said the robbers told other people in the centre to go to the bakery and then lie down on the floor.

"I was lying flat. I was scared. They held out plastic bags for people to put their cellphones in. They also asked for wallets. All that took about six minutes, he said.

Police spokesperson Lungelo Dlamini said no shots were fired, but a client was assaulted. The robbers fled in three cars.
- Beeld

Related Link:- Robbers hit Jhb supermarket - Nine armed men armed with pistols and two rifles, held up staff and customers at the Multisave and robbed the supermarket of cash and airtime vouchers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top