Alex and his family did not leave this country because of the crumbling public service system. Those problems were “workable”. They had their own electricity generator, purified their own water, and had private health care.

Nor were they put off by concerns for the country’s future. Quite the opposite, actually. They were “in for the fight of putting South Africa back together”.

Then why did they leave?

Alex says they were pushed out of South Africa against their will. He speaks of anger at having to see everything he worked for, for 20 years, go down the drain.

People who told him he was brave to immigrate had it all wrong. It had nothing to do with being brave: he was afraid.

Fear drove them out of South Africa:

Those of you who have been a victim of crime can attest to that cold fear, that fear you can only know once you have been through it and if you're lucky survived.

I remember one of the cops who found me tied up after one of the incidents saying to me: "You don't get a second chance like this twice in life".


After three home invasions and two shootings while shopping at their local mall, the family came to the end of their tether:

I had reached a point where I was surviving on two hours sleep a night for two years and we were literally taking shifts.

I can't say I miss South Africa because the lifestyle I missed is no longer there; one cannot braai outside without half an eye out for intruders, one can no longer simply sleep on the beach or the side of the road during holidays, nor really go for walks and enjoy nature, one cannot go out and enjoy a summers evening without constantly watching your back.

So while I do miss the days of doing that, I know that it does not exist for now in South Africa and therefore there is nothing to miss.

So for now I am happy doing my own laundry, it really doesn't take that long and is a good education for the kids, I no longer have a drunk gardener I am terrified of firing for fear of reprisal, knocking on my windows and harassing the household when he's been drinking. Or a security guard who may just turn on me one day. Yes I do miss the days when people had respect for people and life in South Africa and life was good....
but that no longer exists there black or white.

I want to point out that this family’s living standard was way above average. Most South Africans don’t employ servants and security guards. And just as well. A cop once told me that practically all house robberies are inside jobs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top