While she was bludgeoned, bitten and repeatedly hurled to the floor by a young assailant who screamed "Who is this God you call for?" an 82-year-old Berea resident battled to fathom the horror that had invaded her lifelong home.

Ella Horne, who has lived in the wood and iron Victorian house at the corner of Sydenham and Essenwood roads since her birth, is known and loved by many residents in the area. Her home, which is almost a century old, is admired daily by passersby as a reminder of a bygone age. It is thought to be the only remaining dwelling of its kind in the city.

Horne is a former concert pianist who worked for the Daily News for 20 years until her retirement at the age of 70.

The nightmare began at 12.30pm on August 14. From her hospital bed Horne described how she was woken by the sound of breaking glass. "I went to the back of the house to investigate, and then moved to the front bedroom. As I opened the door the picture window exploded, and then he was on me, with his fingers around my throat. I didn't stand a chance."

Her assailant launched a savage and protracted attack, punching her repeatedly in the face and doing his best to strangle her. He also smashed a heavy china fruit bowl against her skull. "I prayed so hard," said Horne. "'Dear God, protect me.' Then my strength started to go. 'I'm dying,' I said. I closed my eyes and tried not to let my breathing show. He left me then, and started to trash my home. Finally it was quiet. I lay there, covered in blood, with my darling cat beside me."

The assailant ransacked the house and stole a television set, electric irons, radios and an unspecified number of other valuables. Horne was to lie unattended for more than 16 hours before a passing motorist noticed the broken window and alerted the police.

Neighbour Allan Reinecke has vowed the community will clamp down on crime. "We will not take acts like this lying down. If criminals keep targeting Berea, they should be warned: we will take firm action."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top