ANC Youth League president Julius Malema's lavish lifestyle is being bankrolled by lucrative government contracts awarded to his companies, the Sunday Times reported on Sunday.

Some of the multi-million rand tenders awarded to Malema's companies were from Limpopo, his home province, the paper reported.

Citing official tender and government documents, the paper reported that Malema's companies were awarded more than 20 contracts, each worth between R500,000 and R39 million between 2007 and 2008.

One of the companies, a small engineering firm, profited from more than R130 million worth of tenders in just two years.

SGL Engineering Projects, which Malema co-owns with Lesiba Gwangwa, was awarded projects ranging from road and pavement construction to bulk water supply and upgrading cemeteries.

While public documents reveal that some of the projects were completed on schedule, majority of them were not, the paper reported.

Malema is believed to have used his share of the profit to finance two luxury homes worth about R4.6 million.

Contacted for comment regarding the tenders by the Sunday Times, Malema said: "What gives you the power to ask me that question? Let me tell you, I do not owe you any answer, to be honest. I am not accountable to you... I am accountable to the ANCYL and ANC. My organisations have never raised any concerns about those things".

Malema went on to say "there is no law that says politicians can't be businessmen".

ANCYL spokesman Floyd Shivambu declined to comment on the story, saying he hasn't seen the paper yet.

"I can't comment on things I haven't seen even if you can explain (the story). Call me on Sunday when I have seen the story," Shivambu said.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top