Letter from Dr Brown in California about his experiences on SAA

I have been coming to South Africa since 1994 and in all cases of travel; I have used South African Airways (SAA) exclusively.

On the 30th April 2007, I travelled in the New First/Business class on flight, SAA 208 from Washington DC to Johannesburg at the huge sum of R47,110.00 + receiving THE MOST HORRIFIC SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECIVED on any airline in any class of service – EVER! In spite of prior notice through their authorized Travel Agency and myself directly, SAA served me food that I’m deadly allergic to that required immediate medical attention. To date, SAA refuses to take any responsibility for it.

This incident required that the on board medical kit to be opened and medication taken and used or I could have died. I suffered a raw throat, as if I had swallowed molten metal for three days after and have suffered indigestion for my entire trip. The seriousness of this incident has been belittled and ignored by SAA Customer Service and NO responsibility or jest of regret has been forthcoming. It was left to me to seek medical attention while in South Africa, from an injury caused at the hands of SAA staff. Yet, I have to pay and there wasn’t even a gesture of concern to ever come from SAA, nor a follow-up call to even ask how I was doing or if there was something they could do. Customer Service totally absent- A Joke!

Additionally, male cabin crew attendants on this flight (at least in the Business class galley behind row 7) did not seek to assist passengers, choosing rather to sit or eat behind the curtain the entire flight – making other-more diligent staff less able to assist the needs of the passengers. In one case when I got up to seek assistance going behind the curtain, I was grabbed by one of these male attendants by both of his hands at my shoulders and told “I should have rung the bell rather than coming there”. He then proceeded to speaking to me in a language I did not understand but the tone and inflection was other than cordial. I was truly fearful of what else these “Cabin Crew Thugs” could and would do. I therefore choose at that time to keep quite, knowing that I had to retune on SAA and did not want to set myself up for an ambush from the same crew or other cabin crew friends.

I’m now home and have no fear of reprisal.

A few realities from this SAA experience are noteworthy. In that I have family in flight crew status, I have an advantage in assessing crew performance over the average tourist.

1. Incompetent and unqualified staff are working on SAA flights, chosen by
who they are and not their ability!
2. How dramatic has the in-flight service with SAA declined in four years!
3. How insensitive and unconcerned have customer service reps. become!
4. What will service be like in the next four years?
5. Will the World in 2010 have similar experiences?

Upon my exiting of South Africa, I needed to go to the SAA counter. While waiting, I observed the following poster on the wall behind the counter. How ironic it reads.

SAA – Our Values
People First
Safety & Security
Proudly South African
Accountability
Integrity
Reliability

In relation to my flying experience, there was “People First”, how-be-it only when it applied to the Cabin Crew. And as to pride, there was a lot of it articulated at the Customer service office. They were so proud that they could not conceive the need to assist me or believe that there was a problem from their staff. In fact, all they did say was that I could write Ballai Mabena to voice my complaint - but that was what I was doing at the time, wasn’t it? Could it be that this meant that they did not want to handle my complaint? After repeated call to customer Service there was no “Accountability” and “Integrity” was on vacation!

In reflecting on this posted - yet hollow value statement, even this is very flawed.

In the aftermath of 911, Safety and Security should always be at the top of any list for an airlines company. And though I understand the need for pride in one county it should never come at the expense of or before accountability, integrity or reliability.

By their actions or rather - lack of, SAA doesn’t get it!!! AND BTW Never to Fly SAA again!

Dr. Ron Brown
Oroville, California

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top