FOUR thugs broke into an orphans’ village outside Mthatha after midnight yesterday. Armed with a spear, a gun and a knife, they assaulted the 57-year-old guardian for an hour before gang-raping a teenage girl.

Police are investigating the horrific attack, which happened at the Mthatha SOS Children’s Village home .


The woman and the girl were fast asleep, together with other children who are between the ages of 12 and seven years old, in the house.

“It was around midnight when I heard something banging the main door twice,” said the woman, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the rape victim.

“I woke up to investigate only to find that strangers were already inside. I shouted for help but they grabbed me and took me to my bedroom while one had a gun pointed at me.”

The guardian said in the bedroom the four, who she estimated were all in their 20s, kept on demanding money.

The criminals noticed a safe in the guardian’s bedroom and demanded that she open it. They took a camera, which was inside the safe. As she repeatedly told them she had no money in the house, they assaulted her.

“I told them that I used the only money we had to buy groceries, but they hit me and stabbed me with a spear on the head.

“I gave them some money that I had in the bedroom.

“They demanded more money and pushed the gun against my nose and threatened to shoot me,” said the guardian.

She said the more she denied having money, the more the criminals assaulted her, even jumping on top of her repeatedly. She then gave in and handed them all she had, about R700. They also took her cellphone.

The thugs pushed girls’ underwear into her mouth to stop her from screaming and tied her hands with an electric cord.

They also ransacked the house for valuables.

“Then three of them went to the girls’ bedroom, while the other stayed behind to make sure I did not call for help,” she said.

The rape victim, who is in Grade 10 at the SOS school, said she was roughly awakened by the men who demanded a cellphone and money.

She gave them R40 and said she did not have a phone.

“They demanded that I must undress. They grabbed hold of me and tried to undress me, but I pushed them away. They hit me with an open hand across the face repeatedly.

They also hit me with the spear twice on the face,” said the rape victim, who moved into the SOS Children’s Village in 2007, after the death of her parents.

Then one of the men held her hands tight while another one closed her mouth with both his hands.

The third man cut her underwear off with his knife. Then they took turns raping her.

After they had finished, one of them ordered another 12-year-old girl to undress.

She was saved when another of the intruders said she was too young.

When they left the house, the criminals took all the monthly groceries .

Captain Zamukulungisa Jozana said police were investigating all leads.

SOS Children’s Village shelters more than 100 young children from babies to 18 year olds.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top