Celebrity divorce lawyer Billy Gundelfinger and his family were beaten and robbed in their driveway this week.

In the process, they became the latest victims of a notorious gang preying upon Johannesburg's northern suburb residents.


The gang, who only steal expensive jewellery or Rolex watches, wear black security guard uniforms. They had just robbed Gundelfinger's Sandhurst neighbour.

Gundelfinger, who was on his way to a restaurant with his wife and daughter on Thursday night, was pistol-whipped and his family robbed of their car, jewellery, cellphones and other belongings.

The neighbour, who did not want to be named, said he saw a blue BMW when he drove past the security guard in their boomed-off street.

"They followed me and attacked me in my garage. They took me into the house and tied me up along with my wife and our domestic worker.

"They demanded money and jewellery. I gave them everything in the safe, all worth a substantial amount. They locked us in the toilet and left."

When the gang reached the gate of the man's driveway they saw Gundelfinger and his family reversing in their car.

"They told me to get out. I tried to fight but they hit me with the gun on my head. They took all our belongings - the car, our money, our jewellery. Then they sped off in our car and the one they came in."

Police spokesperson Inspector Moses Maphakela added that detectives were investigating a slew of cases in Bramley, Sandhurst, Sandringham and Sandton.

"We have many cases where people were robbed in the same way.

"Last year we arrested a suspect linked to these crimes here. He went to court and we opposed bail. But the High Court then granted him bail.

"We are investigating whether this suspect is involved in the incidents after being given bail," said Maphakela.

Gundelfinger says four police officers arrived after the robberies.

"They said these crimes are happening so often they can't keep up. An officer said the modus operandi in all these cases are the same.

"He said criminals have smelt the honey pot in the northern suburbs. He called it home invasions. It's not house robberies anymore. These guys don't rob your house while you're out. They want you there. They don't want alarms."

Gundelfinger has been robbed twice - he has been held up in his office in Norwood and he was robbed at the family home in 2007.

"The first time I came back to my office from a meeting. They stole my (Rolex) and other belongings. The second time, at my house, one of the robbers asked me where my watch was. I said it had already been stolen," said Gundelfinger.

Another Sandhurst resident said the incidents were increasing and getting worse.

Sandhurst has been the one of the haunts of the so called Rolex Gang.

For the past eight months the Saturday Star has reported that the "Rolex Gang" prey on Joburg residents in Hyde Park, Houghton, Sandton, Hurlingham, Glenhazel, Sandhurst and Sandringham.

Gundelfinger says it's time that the police and government realise they have failed South Africans.

"It's anarchy. I have been robbed three times. And everywhere I go people have similar stories. Why do we have to live like this?

"I asked a police officer last night why the media is not getting the information these robberies are happening so often.

"He said that they are not allowed to disseminate information because they have to pretend our suburbs are safe for the World Cup. We are under siege and the criminals have taken over."


This article was originally published on page 1 of The Star on February 07, 2009


2 comments:

  1. Report Bugs Topic tells about the bug reports of this blogs....

    Divorce Lawyers in Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iconlegalservices - Best cheque-bounce Lawyers in Chennai - Get Solved your issue with cheque bounce lawyers & Get legal advice on cheque-bounce Cases.

    Cheque Bounce Lawyers in Chennai

    ReplyDelete

 
Top