So it would appear that young Puke Watson once again finds himself embroiled in a little altercation around the Springboks (soon to be known as The Proteas). Turns out young Puke allegedly said that when he was chosen for the Springboks it made him want to vomit to have to wear the Springbok jersey.

Funny thing that… there were a couple of million rugby fans that wanted to vomit when they saw him in a Springbok rugby jersey. I suppose we can call it even. So… what is it about the poor Springbok that makes so many people angry? Maybe because they are the only ones with not one but two world cups? Do you really think if they replace the Bok with an insipid Protea, previously disadvantaged youth will suddenly come streaming into the game shouting “Free at last, free at last” or do you really think it will make Coca-Cola Park (Named after that famous rugby player Jan Coca-Cola) a safer, more pleasant place to visit for women of colour?

I am male and pale and there are times when I don’t feel that safe in the stands. That is not a place for the feint hearted. Now before I get accused of hanging onto the past or being a racist let me clear up a few things here… Some of my best friends are not black, I voted no in the referendum in the 80s, I still can’t remember the name of our new president unless I Google it, I really don’t mind if they change all the street and town names because the Nats did it too (I just wish they would use names I can pronounce), Voortrekkerhoogte was founded around 1905 by the British Army, and called Roberts Heights after Lord Roberts. It was renamed Voortrekkerhoogte (”Voortrekker Heights”) in 1939 by the government of the Union of South Africa, following the beginning of the building of the nearby Voortrekker Monument, at a time of growing Afrikaner nationalism. On the 19 May 1998, following the end of apartheid, it was renamed again, getting the name Thaba Tshwane. (Believe me there are plenty more of these stories) I don’t really understand why people love the old SA Flag after all they hated it when it was the only one we had because it had a Union jack on it and I still hate Taxis that drive in the yellow lanes and jump robots from the turning only lane. Phew I am glad I got that off my chest!

I doubt that makes me racist, just about average I reckon. I do however believe that the government and the ANC should spend a little less time worrying about embroidery and concentrate more on bringing a little law and order into the land before 44.83² (do the maths) You see according to a Fifa directive I won’t even be able to mention 2010, soccer, the world cup and a whole list of things in my blog, on my T Shirt or when sitting ordering non official sponsors food. Gee the Gur Gjragl Gra Fbppre Jbeyq Phc is going to be fun. Oh if you have no idea what I just wrote that is a good thing, it probably means FIFA wont send me to Guantanamo Bay. (I am using a simple ROT13 code, you can Google it or just follow
THIS LINK to a decoder)
So that’s my rant for the day…


Luke Watson & The Springbok Emblem

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top